World – TIME: Philippine Supreme Court Orders Release of Evidence From Duterte’s Drug War

Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares

(MANILA, Philippines) — The Philippine Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered the release of police documents on thousands of killings of suspects in the president’s anti-drug crackdown, in a ruling that human rights groups said could shed light on allegations of extrajudicial killings.

Supreme Court spokesman Brian Keith Hosaka said the court ordered the government solicitor-general to provide the police reports to two rights groups which had sought them. The 15-member court, whose justices are meeting in northern Baguio city, has yet to rule on a separate petition to declare President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-drug campaign unconstitutional.

Solicitor-General Jose Calida had earlier agreed to release the voluminous police documents to the court but rejected the requests of the two groups, the Free Legal Assistance Group and the Center for International Law, arguing that such a move would undermine law enforcement and national security.

The two groups welcomed the court order.

“It’s a big step forward for transparency and accountability,” said Jose Manuel “Chel” Diokno, who heads the Free Legal Assistance Group.

He said the documents will help the group of human rights lawyers scrutinize the police-led crackdown that was launched when Duterte came to office in mid-2016, and the massive number of killings that the president and police say occurred when suspects fought back and endangered law enforcers, Diokno said.

“This is an emphatic statement by the highest court of the land that it will not allow the rule of law to be trampled upon in the war on drugs. It is a very important decision,” said Joel Butuyan, president of the Center for International Law.

“These documents are the first step toward the long road to justice for the petitioners and for thousands of victims of the ‘war on drugs’ and their families,” Butuyan said.

More than 5,000 mostly poor drug suspects have died in purported gunbattles with the police, alarming Western governments, U.N. rights experts and human rights watchdogs. Duterte has denied ordering illegal killings, although he has publicly threatened drug suspects with death.

The thousands of killings have sparked the submission of two complaints of mass murder to the International Criminal Court. Duterte has withdrawn the Philippines from the court.

After holding public deliberations on the two groups’ petitions in 2017, the Supreme Court ordered the solicitor-general to submit documents on the anti-drug campaign, including the list of people killed in police drug raids from July 1, 2016, to Nov. 30, 2017, and documents on many other suspected drug-linked deaths in the same period that were being investigated by police.

World – TIME


Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares
  •  
    11
    Shares
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  

Voice of America: ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Tickets Crush Records, Going for $500 on eBay

Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares

Advance ticket sales for Marvel superhero movie “Avengers: Endgame” on Tuesday surpassed the last two “Star Wars” films, and some appeared on resale platforms with asking prices of up to $500 each.

Fandango and Atom — two of the top ticketing websites in the United States — said first-day advance sales for Disney’s “Avengers: Endgame” surpassed the 2015 movie “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and 2017’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” —…

Voice of America


Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares
  •  
    11
    Shares
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  

Voice of America: Venezuela Lawmakers Loyal to Maduro Strip Opposition Leader of Immunity

Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares

Maduro loyalists stripped Venezuela’s Juan Guaido of immunity Tuesday, paving the way for the opposition leader’s prosecution and potential arrest for supposedly violating the constitution when he declared himself interim president.
 
But whether the government of President Nicolas Maduro will take action against the 35-year-old lawmaker remains unclear. Guaido has embarked on an international campaign to topple the president’s socialist administration amid deepening…

Voice of America


Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares
  •  
    11
    Shares
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  

FOX News: Crusaders drop knights, consider name change in Super Rugby

Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares

The Crusaders Super Rugby team has dispensed with the knights on horseback which have been traditional mascots in pre-match entertainment after attacks on two mosques in Christchurch provoked criticism of the name and symbolism.

FOX News


Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares
  •  
    11
    Shares
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  

Reuters: World News: Malaysia to sell 1MDB-linked superyacht for $126 million

Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares

Malaysia has agreed to sell a superyacht linked to a multi-billion dollar scandal at state fund 1MDB to casino operator Genting Malaysia Bhd for $126 million, the country’s attorney general said on Wednesday.

Reuters: World News


Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares
  •  
    11
    Shares
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  

FOX News: South Carolina girl, 10, who died after fight at school took no serious physical hits, state senator says

Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares

A South Carolina state senator said Tuesday that there was no violent altercation between two fifth grade students that ultimately led to one girl’s death, contradicting earlier reports of a brutal attack.

FOX News


Spread the Knowledge
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
    11
    Shares
  •  
    11
    Shares
  • 6
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 1
  • 4
  •  
  •  
  •